Monday, May 24, 2010

One more nerd's take on the Lost finale

The finale was fine and like everyone in the side-waysverse, I felt it. But, the finale really only answered the questions of the past season i.e. what the sidewaysverse was all about. Unless I am missing something, purgatory had nothing to do with Dharma, the Others, Jacob, SmokeMonster, etc. making the finale kind of pointless. It only answered questions posed by the current season and ignored the rest of the show (on top of that the last season was terrible).

It became clear as the show progressed that all the twists were not part of some master plan but just something a couple of nerds thought would be badass. "Ok Ok, what if, there is a statue but... wait for it... it only has FOUR TOES!" Nothing wrong with that as the twists were generally well thought out and sometimes mind melting (flashforward!?!?). So I didn't really need or expect closure to the mysteries. What I was hoping for were some conclusions to the ongoing faith vs. science theme which was probably the best aspect of the show. I thought for sure science had won when we discover that Locke had been pointlessly killed (and a bunch of other people that had blind faith in the island). Unfortunately, the finale went for character closure instead of thematic closure and we had to deal with metaphysical mumbo jumbo that was basically the endings of Vanilla Sky and Six Feet Under.

Oh well, at least I felt it.

PS Half-way through I thought they were going for the 12 Monkey's twist i.e. the events of the sidewaysverse influenced events of the real-verse in some kind of feedback loop i.e. Jack heals Locke and that is how he could walk on the island. Jack's dad's body is gone because it is in the sideways verse.

PSS Anyone else really moved by Daniel Farraday's mother asking Desmond if he was going to take her son away? (presumably, this was her chance in the inbetween world to finally be with her son)

2 comments:

麗威麗威 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

You have a lot of spammers... Update?!