In the second season finale of 30 Rock, Jenna introduced the idea of the back door compliment. This is when you indirectly brag about yourself. Her example, "I just can't watch American Idol because I have perfect pitch." It is therefore fitting that Palin picks up this strategy from Tina Fey's co-star (who, like Palin, also is a vapid celebrity). In this case, Palin reversed the concept into the Back Door Insult. As in, I gave you the utmost respect, Mr. Biden, when you supported John McCain on such and such. Or I respect your record of disagreeing with Senator Obama on such and such. This came off, at least from my perspective, snarkier and more sarcastic than anything the GOP railed against Gore in the 2000 debates and contradicts her self-professed small town, gee-golly values.
Unfortunately, I must admit that Palin, having set the expectations so unbelievably low for her performance, came out successful. It is going to be more difficult to argue that she lacks the brain function to be VP. She proved she can BS and lie with the best of 'em and even throw in some gratuitous folksiness.
Don't call it a cliche.
16 years ago
2 comments:
she also back-door complimented herself when she was all, "Oh gee whiz I'll bet you folks can tell I am just such a Washington outsider!" i.e. "I am so untouched by Washington corruption, just like the pristine glaciers of my native state, Alaska."
Ya, that last one wasn't too backdoorish.
Post a Comment